Tangy summers and even the tangier mango season are the reasons that summers are tolerable. Everyone knows that the beginning of summer calls for a mango shower, where everyone enjoys plenty of dishes and drinks involving mangoes. Whether it’s aam panna or mango shakes, summers are a bliss for mango lovers. However guess nothing beats the sweet, tangy flavour of raw mangoes infused with red chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida, mustard seeds and coconut! Yes!! You guessed it right, it’s mango rice! Mango rice is a wonderful option especially if made with the low glycemic rice.
Here are few of the benefits of mango rice in summer season:
- Protection from dehydration and intense heat
Adding raw mangoes or kairi in your summer diet, especially your healthy rice, reduces the effect of intense heat. It also avoids the loss of sodium and iron in your body in the summers. These minerals are usually drained out in sweat, thus making you feel dehydrated.
- Promotes heart health
Mangoes consists of a compound named niacin which does wonders for your heart. It keeps you away from cardiovascular diseases and improves your cholesterol levels as well. These immunity booster rice are very scrumptious and healthy as well.
- Fights cancer
Poly phenolic flavonoid antioxidant compounds present in mangoes help in avoiding cancer. These cancers include colon, breast, prostate and leukemia. Thus, not only does it give you some satisfaction in summer, the low glycemic index rice with mangoes also gives you the ability to fight cancer.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
Mango rice is one of the best foods for summer as it’s rich in vitamins and minerals. Apart from various minerals it is also rich in dietary fibre. Various vitamins present in mango rice include Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A. Mango rice also has several flavonoids including β-cryptoxanthin, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene. Other minerals present in mango rice include potassium, copper and magnesium. Various antioxidants like polyphenols and carotenoids are also present in these rice. Thus, consuming mango rice in summers is actually a source of respite.
- Makes your hunger satisfied
Mango rice is an impeccable source of proteins i.e the building blocks of life. Proteins not only provide you with strength for building muscles and aiding recovery, it also satiates you. Since you are already satisfied your chances of over eating and unhealthy eating reduces drastically.
Here’s how you can make mango rice which is also best rice for diabetes patient:
- Oil- 3 tbsp
- Raw rice- 1 cup
- Curry patta leaves- 15 to 20
- Grated raw mango- 1 cup
- Whole cumin- ½ tsp
- Green chillies to taste- a few
- Whole mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 10 to 12
- Salt- to taste
- Raw urad dal- 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut- 1-2 tbsp
- Raw chana dal (gram)- 1 tsp
- Raw peanuts- 2 tbsp
- Medium sized onions (sliced)- 2
- Ginger paste -1tsp
- Garlic paste-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped)- 2 tbsp
- Firstly give rice a boil till the level they are cooked at is 90%.
- Afterwards add oil to a kadai and warm it for a minute.
- Add mustard seeds, whole cumin, fenugreek seeds and after they start sputtering add chana dal, peanuts, and urad dal and stir it for a second.
- Add slotted green chilies, onions and curry patta in the mixture. Stir till onions become soft and add raw mango and ginger garlic paste afterwards.
- After the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes away you can add coriander leaves and coconut. After stirring it add salt and turmeric and stir again.
- Add cooked rice and mix it well by gently stirring it and cook on a low flame.
- Your mango rice are ready to be served hot!