Transport the flavours of Ghana into your kitchen with this vegetarian and also vegan style of Jollof Rice. This classic spicy, steamed tomato rice stands out for a robust, highly appetising, easy to make dinner or just as a side dish. This one pot LOW GI meal will fill your tummy and also your heart as it does not require too much time to prepare.
The Jollof Rice is packed with flavours, spiciness and a very distinct flavour of smokiness which will have your heart in no time. In Ghana this tomato rice, is often served in ceremonies, parties and celebrations as a staple. It is so simple to make that you can enjoy it as an everyday meal. This bowl of goodness can be made super rich in health benefits by using Low Gi Rice. Do not hesitate to pop in some veggies to make your rice bowl wholesome.
- Preparation and Cooking time – 20 mins
- Serves – 4
- All you need for making this African Jollof Rice Bowl:
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Chopped Onion – 1 medium sized
- Garlic – 4 garlic cloves
- Red chillies – 1 or 2
- Peeled Ginger – 1.5 inch
- Chopped Tomatoes – 2 medium
- Tomato puree – 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Dry Thyme – 1 tsp
- Curry powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Low GI Rice – 2.5 cups
- Water or Vegetable Stock – 2.5 cups
Now let’s make the African Jollof Rice Bowl –
- For the first step of this Low Gi Rice Bowl, in a heavy bottom pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Puree the onion in a blender and add to the oil once it is heated. Let this simmer and release oil. Let this puree reduce till it forms a paste like consistency.
- Now blend to gather the garlic, ginger, tomatoes and the tomato puree into a smooth paste. Add this mixture to the onion paste and let simmer on medium flame for a minute.
- To bring in the punch of flavours to the rice bowl, it’s now time to add all the spices and powders to the pot. Stir them in well and let simmer till they reduce and form a thick paste.
- It’s now time to add our washed low GI Rice into the mixture. Coat the rice with the mixture and then add the liquids.
- Cover with a lid and let the rice simmer in the flavours. If needed add another ½ cup of liquid if the rice needs more hydration.
- After the low GI Rice is cooked serve hot in a bowl along with some sautéed veggies or any proteins of your choice.
There you go! Flavours of Africa in the comfort of your Home! This Low GI Rice Bowl is a go to recipe when you want a hassle free Low GI Rice Dish.